Tuesday, July 7, 2009

If I am a Malaysian

The paragraph below was pulled from this letter and it really frustrates me that the government is saddling our Singapore males with NS and reservist training as well as yearly IPPT. In today's competitive environment and I'm talking about the private sector, a moment's delay can mean a make or break business deal. How many NSmen have lost opportunities in life and for what? A thank you note from MINDEF? Thanks but no thanks. This PR made a smart move as he was willing to move out of his comfort zone, he reaps the benefits of this move. What about us Singaporeans? What can we do? Move to JB, PR in Malaysia? Ironic isn't?

"Unfortunately, our greatest selling point to foreign talents is also dissuading them from settling down here permanently. What additional advantages does being a citizen have over a PR?

I failed my last IPPT and has to go for remedial training thrice a week. Can you imagine the hassle and torture of reporting to Khatib Camp to run 2.4km after a long and hectic day? Due to my frequent travels, I have to apply for deferments often. There was once I forgot and I received a letter from SAF almost immediately threatening to charge me.

My relative, however, have no such concerns. He has zero NS obligations at all - no ICTs, RTs, mob-manning and whatsoever. He can concentrate fully on his work and career. He does not care a bit about local politics. His aim is simply to make money here. His son is born in Malaysia, but studying in Singapore. He need not worry about him having to go through NS when he grows up.

Foreigners flock to Singapore in search of a better life. If they are willing to turn their backs on their homeland and become Singapore citizens in the first place, how patriotic can they be? How many of these new citizens give up their pink ICs later?

J.F. Kennedy once said: “Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country.”

Most Singapore males have served 2 years of national service followed by over 10 years of reservist training. Are we getting a fair deal from our country?"


http://wayangparty.com/?p=10426

If I am a Malaysian

July 8, 2009 by admin

By Fang Zhi Yuan

There are a few letters to the Malaysian media lately from Malaysian PRs and Singapore citizens whose parents are Malaysians about the ugly side of Singapore which has sparked a furore amongst Singaporeans who are indignified by the “ingratitude” shown by their brethen across the causeway.

What if I am a Malaysian working in Singapore? How will I plot my future and that of my children? Will I take up the Singapore citizenship or continue being just a PR to enjoy the best of both worlds?

Let’s imagine I was born in a middle class Chinese family in Johor Bahru. My family is not exactly that rich, but pretty well off by ordinary Malaysian standards.

My father run a small family business, like the majority of the Chinese in Malaysia and I live in a terraced house on the outskirts of the city.

After finishing my primary education in Johor, I was sent packing to continue my secondary education in Singapore. I went through the Singapore education system till university where I graduated with a Bachelor degree in Engineering.

As a Malaysian with no National Service obligations, I entered the workforce two years earlier than my Singapore counterparts. Within 6 months of working, I was offered to take up Permanent Residency in Singapore which I gladly obliged.

Singapore has been good to me. It gave me an education, a job and a future, opportunities which I will never be able to get in Malaysia as a result of the racist bumiputra policy.

Two years later, I was invited to become a Singapore citizen which threw me into a dilemma as I will have to give up my Malaysian citizenship, not that I was particularly loyal to my country of birth.

Malaysia has always been close to my heart though the government does not treat the ethnic minorities particularly well.

My parents, relatives and friends are all in Malaysia. There is a kampung spirit and human touch which is absent in Singapore. Despite living here for a number of years, I do not feel a sense of belonging.

If I become a Singapore citizen, I will now have to contribute 20% of my monthly pay to the CPF which will effectively tie me down here in the future.

My children will naturally become Singapore citizens and my sons will be mandated to serve two years of National Service under the law.

Other than being entitled to slightly higher education and healthcare subsidies, becoming a citizen does not confer any additional advantages over a PR.

After much contemplation, I have decided to maintain the status quo. My children were born in Johor as Malaysian citizens. I plan to enrol them in a Singapore school. There is little doubt that the Singapore education system is far superior than that in Malaysia.

My children will be brought up enjoying the best of both worlds. Singapore schools are well recognized worldwide. It will be a springboard for them to further their education elsewhere. At the same time, my boy need not waste two years of his precious life to serve the Singapore army.

I will leave the decision whether to become Singapore citizens to my children. As for myself, I do not intend to retire in Singapore. Life is too tough and stressful here.

Being still a Malaysian citizen, I am entitled to a housing grant which I intend to use to purchase a bungalow in Johor as a retirement home which cost about RM$500,000, the price of a three-room HDB flat in Singapore.

Had I remained in Malaysia, I will probably not achieve so much in life. I am thankful to the Singapore government for giving me the opportunity to study and work in Singapore. However, I want the best for myself and my family and Singapore is not quite the place to set up home when there are greener pastures elsewhere.

I have done my part and contributed to the Singapore economy. I do not intend to work till the day I drop dead. I want to retire and spend time with my children and grandchildren without having to worry about healthcare expenses.

Should I forfeit my Malaysian citizenship and become a Singaporean or continue to make money here and retire in my hometown?

Over the years, many Malaysians have worked in Singapore and become Permanent Residents. What percentage of these PRs have taken up citizenship?

Given a choice, would you prefer to be born in Singapore as a citizen or as a PR born in Malaysia?

The above account is not entirely fictitious. It is adapted from the personal life of a relative who is in the top echelon of a statutory board. In spite of numerous invitations by the government to him to become a Singapore citizen, he has adamantly refused to do so.

The Singapore government makes no distinction between locals and foreigners. We welcome foreigners with open arms. They are given equal opportunities as locals to succeed in Singapore.

Unfortunately, our greatest selling point to foreign talents is also dissuading them from settling down here permanently. What additional advantages does being a citizen have over a PR?

I failed my last IPPT and has to go for remedial training thrice a week. Can you imagine the hassle and torture of reporting to Khatib Camp to run 2.4km after a long and hectic day? Due to my frequent travels, I have to apply for deferments often. There was once I forgot and I received a letter from SAF almost immediately threatening to charge me.

My relative, however, have no such concerns. He has zero NS obligations at all - no ICTs, RTs, mob-manning and whatsoever. He can concentrate fully on his work and career. He does not care a bit about local politics. His aim is simply to make money here. His son is born in Malaysia, but studying in Singapore. He need not worry about him having to go through NS when he grows up.

Foreigners flock to Singapore in search of a better life. If they are willing to turn their backs on their homeland and become Singapore citizens in the first place, how patriotic can they be? How many of these new citizens give up their pink ICs later?

J.F. Kennedy once said: “Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country.”

Most Singapore males have served 2 years of national service followed by over 10 years of reservist training. Are we getting a fair deal from our country?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here’s a story about a husband and wife:

Husband: Why are you inviting so many men from outside into our house?

Wife: I need them to pump labor into me and give me money.

Husband: But I work hard to do that too.

Wife: That is no good. We need better seeds from more talented people outside. Yours is not good enough. These outside men are smart graduates, strong construction workers, handsome road sweepers, young and vibrant students. They are better than you.

Husband: I am your faithful husband. I love you, lived with you, protect you, stay with you in times of trouble. Doesn’t that count for something? Those men will come and go. Once they see someone better, they will leave you.

Wife: Since some of them will leave eventually, I must invite even more men to our house. I need them. If more men come, maybe, just maybe, if I am lucky, some will stay

Husband: I can fill our house will happy little ones too. Give me a chance.

Wife: You? That will take too long. Even if we have kids, when can they work to give me money. The men from outside are different, they can work and pay me lots and lots of money immediately. When they grow old, they will leave our house and we don’t need to even support them. On the other hand, we need to support our little ones when they age and are too old to be productive.

Husband: Trust me. Life will be better. Don’t invite these men over. I will work hard, and we can afford a nice room in our house if we save for 8-10 years.

Wife: It is no use. By the time you save up, the room prices would be much much higher. Only the men from outside can afford to pay for rooms in our house…you cannot.

Husband: Do you still love me?

Wife: Stay on if you want. It is better you leave. Go to another house. I don’t care. I doubt other houses would even want you. There’s the doorbell……HELLO!!! WELCOME !!! PLS COME INSIDE ME!!